WORKSHOP – Re-visioning Trauma Work with Children & Youth: Essential skills for brief & longer-term conversations
With Angel Yuen, M.S.W., R.S.W.
Experiences of trauma can contribute to a sense of hopelessness for persons of all ages, as well as the service providers they are consulting with. Narrative Therapy approaches to traumatic experiences assist people to redevelop/develop a sense of personal agency and a renewed sense of self as the “other” stories that are always present are co-discovered. These are often subordinated stories of connection, hope, cherished values, and unacknowledged ways in which children and youth respond to hardship.
In this workshop Angel will offer hopeful and effective ideas and practices for working in both longer-term and brief services with children and youth who have experienced trauma. Many insider knowledges will be shared of how young people who have experienced trauma sustain what is important in life despite dif culties and challenges. Angel will share how to co-discover with children and youth the many skills of living and acts of resistance in which they have engaged. This will offer hope to young people, their caregivers and practitioners working with persons living with and facing consequences of historical trauma and ongoing hardships such as violence and oppression.
In this workshop participants will:
- Explore the taken-for-granted understandings of trauma and PTSD
- Learn how to doubly-listen to the stories of trauma and the responses to trauma
- Discover and practice how to engage in externalizing conversations to assist in separating young persons from the effects of trauma (eg: worthlessness, self-hate, fear)
- Practice lines of enquiry in re-authoring conversations which move Trauma identity stories to Preferred Identity stories
- Learn ways to respond in time-constrained settings to children and youth who have experienced trauma
- Build skills in specific practice guidelines such as remembering conversations to thicken preferred identity stories
Registration Rate: $375 + HST
STUDENTS: Students in University or College qualify for a 10% discount, including off of the early bird rate. Students must provide a copy of their student identification card to email@example.com with STUDENT CONFIRMATION in the subject line. Once confirmed, you will receive your coupon code via email to apply at checkout.
GROUP RATE: Groups of 6 or more qualify for a 10% discount off of the total fee, including early bird rate. After selecting quantity of 6 or more, enter code groupspecial6 at checkout to receive your discount.