IN THE NEWS:
Support for our Pearl Street Expansion
Did you know that over 20% of all children will experience some sort of mental health crisis during their school year? That is where Reach Out Centre for Kids comes in. CHCH viewers learned more about ROCK and our new facility from campaign manager, Stephanie Wilsack on CHCH Morning Live
“I’ll continue to work with the new city council on some of the infrastructure projects that are important to them. Working with royal Botanical Gardens on the Cootes to Escarpment EcoPark and helping to continue to support the Reach Out Centre For Kids as they expand their build and their centre.”
Did you know?
- One in five Ontarians under the age of 17 has a mental health disorder causing significant distress, impairing their functioning at home, school, with peers or in the community. (Children’s Mental Health Ontario, 2012)
- Suicide is the second-leading cause of death for Canadian’s aged 15-24, second only to accidents. (Report by the Advisor on Healthy Children and Youth, 2008)
- 70 percent of mental health problems and illnesses have their onset during childhood or adolescence. (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 2012)
- While mental illnesses constitute more than 15 percent of the burden of disease in Canada, these illnesses receive only 5.5 percent of health care dollars. (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 2012)
- Young people aged 15-24 are more likely to report mental illness and/or substance use disorders than any other age group. (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 2012)
- Mental health problems among children and youth are predicted to increase by over 50 percent by the year 2020 to become one of the five most common causes of morbidity, mortality and disability among children. (Children’s Mental Health Ontario, 2012)
Together We Can End The Wait!
This capital build will enhance ROCK’s mission and vision by increasing the number of people that they are able to serve, thereby allowing us to provide the necessary prevention and intervention services in a timely fashion to children in need.