ABOUT THE WORKSHOP /
Safe and Effective Use of Self: Rules & Beyond…to a Self-Reflective Practice
With Shari Lecker, M.Ed., RP
The therapist’s effective use of self and the therapeutic relationship are prerequisites to successful therapeutic outcomes. Research shows the therapeutic relationship to be the top factor in creating change, more than the specific therapeutic model! It is the client’s perception of the therapeutic relationship that is responsible for most of the gains from therapy. Recent evaluations of single-session and walk-in clinic work has shown that in effective brief work, clients rate their experience of the therapeutic relationship as high. This is important, as we now understand that even in brief contexts, the use of self remains central. For good reasons then, the therapist’s use of self is one of the core competencies identified by the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).
In this workshop, Shari will move beyond just a ‘rule-based’ use of self into the complexities informed by a more postmodern worldview. This workshop will help you to understand what is meant by use of self, and how an effective use of self involves the therapist’s understanding of their subjective context and patterns of interacting with clients in the therapeutic process. Therapists need to be aware of and intentional in creating a posture that is effective, safe and ethical. Shari will assist participants to understand how reflection, resonance, and reflexivity assist therapists to bring their whole self appropriately, and with vulnerability and transparency into the therapy room.
In this workshop, participants will:
- Explore their self-awareness, assumptions, and biases
- Recognize how their subjective context impacts the therapeutic process
- Learn about relational boundaries and appropriate use of self-disclosure
- Explore power dynamics that exist within the therapeutic relationship
- Explore the use of reflection, resonance, and reflexivity
- Explore a therapeutic posture that embraces vulnerability, transparency, and collaboration
- Learn about use of self-reflective practices to bring into your everyday practice
∗ This workshop will include experiential exercises and discussions to enhance and energize your learning.
March 5 & 6, 2020
9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Early Bird rate of $395 + HST available until January 30, 2020!
Registration rate: $435 + HST
Group and student discounts available: e-mail email@example.com for more information.